2nd FAMILY PENSION TO THE WIDOWS OF THE RE-EMPLOYED EX-SERVICEMEN.
This benefit is available from 27.7.2001. It means that all the widows of the re-employed ex-servicemen, whose husbands were drawing two separate pensions and died before 27.7.2001 and after 27.7.2001 are now eligible for two family pensions. But practically this benefit has not been availed by any widow till date. The reasons are:-
1. The O.M. No.1/19/96-PPW(E) dt.19.7.2002 by the Dept. of Pension and Pensioner’s welfare has not been widely circulated. The MOD, Dept. of Ex-servicemen Welfare had not circulated this order.
2. The Record Offices and the respective departments where the ex-servicemen were re-employed had joined together and ensured that only one family pension is released to the widow.
3. Since most of the ex-servicemen re-employed prior to 1986 had not done the endorsement of family pension, their widows suffered a lot to get one pension even though their husbands were drawing two pensions.
4. The Record offices refused to endorsement of family pension without getting an no-objection certificate from the re-employer that they will not sanction any family pension.
5. In some cases, the re-employers such as the Nationalized Banks, PSUs like the Indian Oil Corporation, Bharat Petroleum Corporation, etc., who are having EPF scheme 1995 released the family pension to the widow immediately. After accepting this EPF scheme 1995 pension, when the widow applied for the defence family pension, the record offices simply turn down the application stating that they are eligible for only one family pension. Thus the widow continued to lose her legitimate defence family pension even after issue of the order from 27.7.2001.
Thus the widows of the re-employed ex-servicemen whose husbands were drawing two pensions before 27.7.2001 or after 27.7.2001 and died subsequently are though eligible for two family pensions, but are being paid only one pension.
The MOD, Dept. of Ex-servicemen Welfare should issue a circular on the subject immediately and enable the widows to get both the family pensions in the last days of their life. Otherwise the name given to the Department “Dept. of Ex-servicemen Welfare” will become meaningless.
As of now all the widows of ex-servicemen, whose husbands were drawing two pensions are eligible for two family pensions w.e.f. 27.7.2001 depending upon the date of death. Those who have died prior to 27.7.2001, the family pension will be paid from 27.7.2001. Those who have died after 27.7.2001, the family pension will be paid from the next of day of death.
In these present state of confusion with the Pension Disbursing Agencies, even the living pensioners are struggling to get their correct pension, then who will help these widows to get their 2nd family pension.
The ex-servicemen welfare organizations like IESL, IESM, AFA, Naval Foundation etc., should take up the matter seriously with the government and render justice to these widows.