AN APPEAL FROM THE PRESIDENT
EX-SERVICEMEN GRIEVANCES CELL
Ref: ESM/GC-M/09/12 Dated: 31 Mar 09
To & 24/5/09.
1. Adjt Gen, IHQ of MOD (Army), New Delhi-11.
2. CGDA, West Block-5, RK Puram New Delhi-66.
3. Jt CDA (Pensions)
4. Secy, ESM Welfare Dept, MOD New Delhi-11.
Banks & Bureaucrats are delaying sanctioned Pensions/ benefits to Ex-Servicemen
1. There has been regular flow of complaints on Pensions from all corners of states, that their Pensions are not reaching in their accounts correctly & properly. Every bank has his own system of working & calculating ESM Pensions, which vary from Bank to Bank. Therefore, same rank ESM are getting different amount of Pension from different Banks. Most of the Banks do not have trained clerical staff to work out our Pensions and are mainly dependent on their Head/ Zonal Offices. That’s how most of the ESM/ Widows are getting raw deal at lower Banks and are being told to go to their HO for details. Remote area banks are playing worst role. Widow Krishna Devi from Kharar tells that she has not got single rupee arrears, yet.
2. Even no worth while help is coming out of the civilian staff of DPDOs (Defence Pension Disbursing Offices) at district level. CDA has not issued specific revised/ new PPOs (Pension Pay Orders) to Individual ESM & Banks. After Govt’s approval of 6th Pay Commission, Ministry of Defence has issued instructions to all Paying agencies to release Pension payments to ESM as per some charts. Even these charts & instructions have been changed/ modified more than twice, hence lot of confusions have come up at various places. Civil staff does not work even for 40 hours weekly and lot many holidays in between have made ESM/ Widows suffer adversely.
3. Bureaucratic staff sitting at MOD is generally delaying publication of due notifications for release of Pensions. They have been making too many mistakes in interpreting Pay commission’s recommendations. Because, this civilian staff is unprofessional, anti ESM and lack interest & commitment of duty. That’s how MOD was pointed out 107 mistakes on 14/1/09 during their meeting with ESM Assns and 70 mistakes were agreed to remove on priority with in weeks, are still groping in dark. Worst is that Govt have already approved PB-4 for Lt Colonels 2 months back but our Bureaucracy/ MOD is still not in mood to publish Notification and working over time probably, to put some hurdles in it. Because there is no body there from ESM/ Forces to safe guard our interests & entitlements. Where as these civilians alter/ manipulate documents to their advantage. That’s why orders are passed down with lacunas/ mistakes.
5. All the retired soldiers after 1/1/06, are still looking to the sky for the increased Pension & arrears.
6. Therefore, we humbly request all dealing bosses to streamline their working and payment system to avoid any further delay and harassment to ESM Community, please. We shall be highly obliged please.
Copy to: (
1. All concerned. Ex-Servicemen Grievances Cell (Regd)
Progress Action Report-I.
7. Sir, we are grateful for publishing Govt Notification dt 21/5/09 on PB-4 for pre 1/1/06 retiree Lt Colonels. This provides good relief for Officers. However, similar benefits for lower segments are still awaited please. Specially, Personnel Below the Officers Ranks (PBORs), (96)%, are also looking very hopefully towards Govt’s forth coming benefits/ orders, amounting to One Rank One Pension (OROP) demand, please.
8. Similarly, the 6th Pay Commission benefits for post 1/1/06 retirees, were cleared long back by the cabinet, but are still under Govt’s Publication for release of Pensions. We are also hopeful that Govt will be kind enough to release the amount (of all type of Pensions) to the Bankers soon. Many ESM/ Widows are still not happy with delays & Bank calculation services, please.
Copy to: As above. (
Note: Sir, Govt has cleared benefits for Lt Gen to